Monday, December 13

Toy Shopping and Captain Underpants


I don't frequent toy aisles if I can avoid it since discovering Amazon and Dr. Toy's websites. It sure simplifies my gift giving a great deal. But today I had to do some necessary browsing to make sure I hadn't missed anything special. I only had Morgan with me so if worst came to worst, I could still carry her out kicking and screaming if need be. It's when I'm out-manned that it gets dicey!

When we entered the toy section Morgan got sucked into the first toy she saw in the center aisle so I began to browse and adjacent side aisle. No more than a step in and I was startled so much I jumped! An entire row of baby dolls on each shelf was greeting me with peek-a-boos, jumping in their cribs, giggling psychotically, and who knows what else! It was the moment nightmares are made of! I had ventured down the aisle in search of a nice soft babydoll for Morgan to snuggle and squeeze and love on. All these have hard plastic battery cases. So sad and disappointing!

As I finished my browsing, I got Morgan to leave the first toy without a scene. But then she discovered the aisle of plush stuffed animals, particularly a grand looking white long-haired cat. Morgan was in love and I had to groan! White and hairy toys weren't meant to be kept in my home. She then started greeting all the animals on the shelf like long lost pals. The best was when I made her say goodbye. She walked to the far end of the aisle and gave each fluffy toy a tender kiss and parting goodbye! As we turned the corner, she paused to blow a kiss and say one last "bye-bye." It was so adorable!

Over Thanksgiving, Easton had checked out a new book from school. Ever heard of the Captain Underpants series? Easton has devoured the two in the series he can get his hands on at school. Not our favorite choice since they have purposeful incorrect spelling of words and is founded on potty mouth humor, but Easton can't put them down! Each time he takes a shower, he dons his tighty whities and red cape until I ask him to put on warmer clothes!


Tonight, Easton said something about something making him want to barf. Ryan and I started talking to him about the books and the words used. He meekly said he still wanted to read the rest of the series and began to read their titles off the back of his book:
  • Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopy Pants
  • Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets
  • Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman
  • Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People
  • Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space
Reading these titles does not induce giggles for me, but hearing my son plead to read these ridiculous titles sure did! We were so caught off guard by the titles that we found ourselves trying to stifle hysterical fits of giggles! Good grief! Talk about a battle lost! And Easton was trying not to laugh because he was trying to plead his point but soon had to surrender too. So silly! They sure hooked Easton! I gotta do my homework and find some good books again!