Thursday, July 24

Book Freak

The past two weeks of my life have been absorbed in blazing through the Stephanie Meyers "Twilight" series of three, soon to be four books. I usually alternate my reading by doing a fluff book and then a non-fiction book so I can keep learning. I'd just finished former director of the CIA, George Tenet's biography, "At the Center of the Storm" and was looking for my easy read. Samantha let me borrow her three Meyer books and I should have known better! I couldn't just stop at one since they were all in my hot hands! Sorry, family - mostly Ryan!

I admit I felt like book 2, "New Moon," was sheer drudgery, but the other two were more entertaining although I won't be pre-ordering or standing in line for the next book. I'll get to it eventually and enjoyed how they were good fluff reading for me like the Harry Potter series.

I liked Meyer's creation of vampire and werewolf legends, but the main character's teen angst just about drove me over the edge! Give me more action! Maybe because it took me back to all the self-absorption of teenage drama and I prefer to think I've happily moved past all that. I kept thinking, "Man, this girl needs some healthy extra-curricular stuff to do - particularly service oriented!"

I liked the two boys in Bella's life because they were such gentlemen. They're like the modern teen equivalents of Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy - particularly Edward. I must say I hope she ends up with Jacob in the end because I like him better and think she needs what he has to offer more.

I can't believe I've just blogged about these books! It's been nice to finally see what all the fuss is about and to hear encouraging words from my Mia Maids to help me plough through book 2. Hearing them talk of these books all the time made me feel like I'd missed the latest Potter craze. As with most things, I'm slow to get there but I catch up eventually.