Friday, January 7

Life: Straight or a Strait?

I have set a goal to read the Book of Mormon by Easter. I’ve never set a time-sensitive scripture goal before because I feared it would lessen my ability/desire to study, to ponder. Silly, silly me - I should know better! I declare here that I’m thoroughly enjoying this new journey and perhaps every now and then will share tidbits.

I've always found it interesting how in 1 Nephi 8:20 its the "strait and narrow" and not "straight and narrow" path that leads to the Tree of Life. Ryan and I were able to visit Istanbul, Turkey last week and take a boat trip up the Bosporus Strait. After the curvy, strong counter-currents and treacherous jutting rocks of the Bosporos Strait - it makes for some nice parallels!

Being a bit of a word nerd, here's some definitions I found:

Straight suggests no curves; extending or proceeding in one single direction, without bends, curves, irregularities, or deviations.

Strait suggests a difficult situation or one that involves hardship.

What is life if not a strait and the antithesis of straight?! Put that together with the early adversities, discouragements, and disappointments faced by Lehi's family as they left their comfy digs in Jerusalem, and how each family member dealt with it. Laman and Lemuel bemoaning the hardness of the task to get the golden plates, Sariah lamenting how her husband's prophetic call involved sacrificing her comfort and possibly her sons, while Lehi stays his ground encouraging everyone and Nephi goes to the Lord for better understanding and a will to move forward not looking back.

These chapters have me reflecting on how I view and handle the curves and currents of my days. How quick I am to be discouraged when my efforts don't pan out early with huge success and praises sung from the rooftops. Call it an attitude adjustment I hope sticks. It makes 1 Nephi 3:7 poignant in a newer way since I'd always viewed that scripture as an obedience scripture, not a "hope when you're down" scripture.

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

I daily lose sight of the importance and focus my work in my home needs to have. But the way is clear and I do have help, I just have to use it more often! Ryan and I have again recently been drumming up ideas for better evenings with our family. All good things seem to require a plan and diligent effort if they will be accomplished. I love having an insightful partner on the journey with me!

A quick side note: In what felt like a long shot chance to stifle the moaning when I said we needed to clean the house yesterday before the TV or games were turned on, I shared Nephi and his brother's experience/attitudes getting the golden plates. Easton totally ate it up! McKay was less convinced until he remembered vacuuming was part of the deal! [HUGE thanks to Ryan for the birthday gift that keeps on giving! Who said a girl doesn't want appliances as gifts?! When my slaves are happy, so am I!] Oh yes, and there may or may not have been choruses of the Murmur song with "grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble, YUCK!" while we worked. Go Scripture Scouts!