Monday, October 5

In the right place . . .

I had some totally sweet experiences last week. On Sunday evening, I was telling Ryan I was really struggling to prioritize and manage my time in what has become rather chopped up portions of time between school drop offs/pickups and our classes. I love to have down time as a family. I love to learn. I love to make new friends. I love to help someone. I love to have a clean house. I love to be cooked for . . . but I digress.

My friend's lil' three month old had to go back in the hospital last week again. The invasive scan performed yielded more questions rather than the expected result. My friend was totally deflated and I felt the sorrow down deep, having been there before. Time and again, my ulcerative colitis has helped me empathize and gain greater depths of friendship which I hold as some of my most cherished life experiences thus far. Sharing life's joys and sorrows is truly one of life's greatest gifts. Connections.

The next evening, I was able to spend an evening with my friend in the hospital with her little girl. Thank you, Ryan!!! I got lost asking for directions a few times from different staff. Humbling. I was pretty proud of myself for being able to ask for room 304 in German, but hadn't yet learned how to understand directions. Minor details! Hmmm, something to ask Frau Schill this week in class and yet another way I'll take the class off on a tangent! Last time I did this was to ask how to say "Excuse me" and "I'm sorry" -- very helpful when carting my kids around and letting them steer the stroller or shopping cart. Not always my finest moments.

My friend and I ate, we laughed, and I got to hold and play with her cherub! For being a sick little thing, she sure looks healthy and isn't missing a single yummy roll! I introduced Dawn to my favorite guilty pleasure -- dark chocolate covered almonds. They're so pretty and shiny. So sinfully easy to eat one, and another, and another . . . She may never forgive me, but misery loves company!

At the end of the evening, I got to hold and feed Sophia. The hallway ceiling of this ward has all these carved out circles of varying sizes and Sophia was mesmerized by them. She'd be throwing a fit and all you had to do was stroll into the hallway and she'd instantly chill out! Quite funny actually. Until she fell asleep in my arms. One of the sweetest things ever is to lull a baby to sleep. The sense of peace, love, and accomplishment all rolled into one! Man, I love babies!

I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for seeing fit to bless me with moments last week where I knew I was doing what I was meant to be doing at the right time and place. It is so great to have sisters everywhere I go!