Tuesday, September 25

Top Ten Reasons I LOVE Ryan!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN!!!

10. Ryan encourages me to keep learning. I really appreciate him valuing me as his equal and I love telling him new things I’ve learned and hearing his thoughtful perspectives. I love how smart he is!

9. Ryan is tall, dark and handsome! I love his salt and pepper hair which as he grows older will make him look distinguished. And with those glasses, he’s the perfect sporty-smartypants I’d always wanted.

8. Ryan makes me feel safe. I feel secure in his love, secure in his leadership of our home, secure when the uncertainties of life bear down on us. I do not fear the future and haven’t since dating him.

7. Ryan is the best person to have in an emergency or through a trial. He’s able to keep a level head and get things done. When I had to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital late one night, he showed me all the concerned attention I needed without fuss. When I’ve suffered through health problems, he’s been very supportive.

6. Ryan is cool under pressure. Recently we were part of a marriage and dating panel for the youth of our church and while I was sweatin’ bullets and my lips were stuck to my teeth, he was cracking jokes and giving fabulous heart-felt comments. The bishop’s wife even commented on how lucky I was to have such a sweet, articulate husband. This was a true source of comfort during the layoff period last year because I knew he’d be a good interviewee!

5. Ryan keeps me grounded. As an oldest child in a big family, I wasn’t used to being called on stuff – I was usually the one dishing out. However, his comments are always to the point and right on time in the moment. Not fun for me in the moment, but I’m so glad he has this ability and I admire it.

The late President Spencer W. Kimball said, “We need an unspoiled companion who will not count our wrinkles, remember our stupidities nor remember our weaknesses; . . . we need a loving companion with whom we have suffered and wept and prayed and worshipped; one with whom we have suffered sorrow and disappointments, one who loves us for what we are or intend to be rather than what we appear to be in our gilded shell.”

4. Ryan is a fabulous father. I always tell Ryan he’s like a rock star to our kids. The minute he arrives, they’re running to him to climb all over him. They love their daily smack-down time with Dad! Yet he never hesitates to step in and discipline and make sure the boys honor their mom. Very grateful for his leadership in the home! The picture above is with McKay.

3. Ryan is quick to help! Perhaps my favorite quality of his, he never complains when I ask him to help me around the house. I find this truly amazing. My mom calls him the cleaning tornado because he jumps to it and does tidies up so fast.

2. Ryan bakes pies and other yummy treats! I did not know this when I married him so YEAH FOR ME!!! My favorites are: his chocolate chip cookies that he makes me just because I have a craving; fabulous apple pie with Grandma Dale’s flaky crust (drool!); and Christmas turtles (roasted almonds covered with homemade caramel dipped in chocolate). Ahhh, can’t wait til this diet is done!!!

1. Ryan makes me and others laugh easily and often! While we were dating, he used to entertain my roommates with mini-talent shows (such as the trick above with the collapsable screwdriver) which I now know I can attribute to the “Smith” gene in his family line. I love sitting by him in meetings because we can always find something funny to amuse ourselves over in the proceedings. In parenthood, we get a kick out of this fun new phase laughing at silly things the kids or we as parents do. His disarming, fun personality was his best first impression when I met him (it helped that he was the one holding the Reeses pieces too)!

Love ya, my Birthday Man!